Sports and Exercise Science Personal Statement Example

Having always been surrounded by a variety of different sports, whether I was watching from home, attending Sheffield United FC matches, or taking part myself, ignited my interest in physiotherapy and helping people. To be given the opportunity to pursue this as a career, where I would be working with different people and where each day would involve new interactions and challenges, is my ultimate goal.

Studying Health and Social Care has taught me the importance of effective communication within healthcare settings. This is because communication builds strong relationships, and improves teamwork and productivity. Communication is key in the role of a physiotherapist. Without listening skills I would not be able to fully understand the needs of the patient. This course has also taught me how to communicate clearly and concisely through a variety of formats, including coursework, presentations, and interactions. Studying Business has helped me improve my leadership skills as I have led presentations covering a range of different topics, including market research methods and legal factors. It was important for me to ensure that all participants took part and understood their responsibilities so that the group was able to reach their full potential. This has helped me to improve my interpersonal skills, such as confidence and communication, as well as my teamwork, research, and presentation skills. From the process, the most important lesson I learned was how hard it can be to manage a team of people, but also how rewarding it is when you are successful. Studying Criminology has helped me improve my analytical skills which I use to evaluate and assess a variety of criminological theories and case studies. This course has also taught me the importance of organisation and time management. All of this are transferrable skills which will further support me in my degree and in the future as a physiotherapist. During the two 8-hour exams, which both require a lot of content to be covered, meaning I must stay organised and manage my time correctly to have the best chance of getting high marks, I remain focused and on task.

I am a very independent person who doesn't like to rely on others to do things for me, which would help me to adapt quickly to life at university. However, I know that if I ever needed help, I would know to reach out to those that could. Being a young carer for my Mum with Alzheimer's disease since I was 10, has helped me to become more resilient and mature, which isn't something usually seen in people my age. This difficult situation has helped me to navigate through the challenges that we are faced with in life, and also means that I can handle stressful situations and adapt to changes when needed to do so.

Having cared for my Mum who has faced many challenges with her condition, I have learnt the importance of being patient and showing compassion and empathy. Through this, I have realised my love for helping people. This would help me with my ideal career path as a physiotherapist because it is important to create a supportive and understanding environment for patients.

For the last nine years, I have also been a member of a swim team, which has given me the chance to teach and help the younger swimmers. This has helped to further develop my leadership skills and shows my dedication and reliability to commit to something I enjoy. Throughout my time in Secondary and Sixth Form Education, I have taken part in various Open Evenings where I have helped set up, welcomed parents and students, provided tours, or spoken about the subjects I take. The interpersonal skills that I have developed as part of this fully support my chosen course and being a physiotherapist.

I am thoroughly looking forward to being given the opportunity to start this new challenge and believe that I have the skills and qualities needed to complete the course successfully.