History, Politics and Economics Personal Statement Example

My fascination with the social sciences first materialised whilst living on both sides of the Malaysia-Singapore border; it perplexed me how such contrasting levels of prosperity emerged despite their immediate proximity.

This affinity for the varying factors that have shaped our world blossomed alongside my sixth-form studies. I presented in my school's history society on the 7 Years War, arguing that it was the first 'World War', with Europe, Asia, and the Americas united in conflict, alongside the subsequent revolutions that transpired. Hobsbawm's 'Age of Revolution' reinforced my belief in the impact of the war, with the Anglo-French 'Dual Revolution' setting off the most extensive political and economic upheaval the world has seen, although his focus on economic determinism fails to highlight shifting sociopolitical dynamics. The 7 Years' War helped contextualise my course on the British Empire, as the sequence of events prior cemented Britain's position as a global power. Ferguson's 'Empire' gives merit to the triumph of capitalism, globalisation and institutions left behind by Britain. However, to say this outweighs the centuries of slavery, subjugation, and material exploitation exaggerates the benefits colonies received from the Metropole.

A lecture on 'Understanding Russia Today' propelled me to explore the recent political economy of the Eastern European Region. Turnock, in "The East European Economy in Context", argues that the successful integration of former Soviet states requires a combination of market-oriented policies and institutions that effectively allow competition. However, despite the successful implementation of these policies, there is a substantial divergence in the political landscape due to the distinct cultural formations of nations within the region. Snyders 'Reconstruction of Nations' asserts that historical events have primarily shaped the region's political landscapes, with Belarus and Lithuania's differing education of their past national identity correlating with their relations with their once ruler. Thus, while I am an enthusiastic historian, my passion does not solely stem from my interest in the past but from a deep infatuation with uncovering the economic and political dynamics that have moulded our world.

The interplay between history, politics, and economics was most evident in my 7500-word study on the War on Drugs in Mexico. Reading from economic historians dispelled my belief that greater government oversight could eradicate the cartels. Instead, I decided to centre my paper on the institutional issues Mexico faces due to its colonial past. Acemoglu and Robinson stress the significance of a truly "inclusive" institution in 'Why Nations Fail' by comparing Nogales, Sonora, and Nogales, Arizona. With no significant difference in geography or culture, the incentives given to citizens by institutions have led to a disparity in economic growth. While credit lines have allowed American institutions to create positive feedback loops, previous path dependency still plagues Mexico's institutions. Thus, it was hard for me not to be pessimistic about the future of Latin America, with papers such as Reddy's on the legacy of the 'Mita' system in Peru serving only to reinforce the punitive nature of extractive institutions. Hence, I want to continue researching history's perpetual impact on current economic developments at university.

Watching a debate by the LSE Economic History Society on the importance of history in economics reaffirmed my desire to study an interdisciplinary degree. As one panellist put it, instead of viewing history as obsolete, we should see it as a 'reality check' to the increasingly mathematical approach to the economy. Whether studying colonialism's impact on current economic structures or examining the role of institutions in shaping political landscapes, I am committed to exploring history's complex and multifaceted role in our society.

Course: 
History,Politics and Economics
Course code: 
4P47

Got into UCL+KCL, rejected by LSE. Only applied to 4 places (applied to 2 at kcl and got into both)

AAA achieved in History,Politics and Economics.

Risked mentioning LSE on my personal statement but didn't work. I heard that LSE liked being mentioned on personal statements but probably competition was too high with the grades I had.